Free Comic Book Day! First Saturday in May!
first Saturday of May The 2013 date is Saturday May 4th! FAQ below, scroll down for specific info on each location!
Free? Really? The comics are free?
Yes! There are limits as we want to get the comics to as many people as possible so don’t bring a big backpack or trolley thinking you’re going to fill it up! Each store has their own rules, check with your local comic book store for more info on their event!
What comics will be given away?
A variety of comics are available. Many are specifically created for Free Comic Book Day and feature many of todays popular comic book characters and many more from our own stock that we feel people will enjoy. You can see some of the specially-made issues created just for the event at http://www.freecomicbookday.com
That sounds great! Put aside a bunch for me, okay?
Sorry, we can’t put any aside for anyone. If you want one of the free comics, drop by your local comic book shop on Free Comic Book Day! If we have any leftovers, we give them away throughout the summer.
One of them in particular looks terrific! I need five of them for my kids / friends at home!
Then they should attend Free Comic Book Day at their local comic book shop – you’re welcome to some free comics, but no doubles. The effort is to get as many comics to as many people as possible; not have any one person take several copies of the same comic.
And the comics are really free?
Yes! No catch except for one. You have to read them.
Aren’t comics too mature for kids?
Not at all – comics are for everyone. While some are written for older readers, there are many that are aimed at the younger folks! We have three sections; all ages, teen and adult.
How did this event get started?
A comic book store owner in California named Joe Field came up with the idea in 2001. He proposed it to his fellow store owners and to the others in the industry. Everyone thought it was a great idea, and soon a committee was formed to make it happen.
Who is charge of it, then?
There’s a committee made up of publishers, retailers, industry press, and distributor representatives. The committee makes most decisions and sets general policy, but many issues – such as the date for the event – are determined by an industry-wide vote of comic book retailers.
What is the purpose of this event? Why are you doing this?
To remind people of the power and the fun of comics. many people are aware that characters like Batman or Spiderman come from comics, and they enjoy watching the movies, but they’re really missing out if they haven’t tried the comics.
We want to remind people of this form of storytelling. The variety, the types of stories being told, and the skills being brought to bear are tremendous. there’s a comic book for everyone – Free Comic Book Day is a perfect opportunity for people to find theirs!
Strange Adventures Fredericton at 68 York Street 10AM to 5PM
Free Comic Book Day runs like this – Each person attending can:
• choose up to 10 Official FCBD comics (they’re the ones with the FCBD logo printed on them)
and up to 10 of our own Free Comics (they’re the ones without the FCBD logo but have our
Strange Adventures sticker on the cover!)
• Sorry, no duplicates – only 1 of any comic per person (only one Walking Dead comic per person as an example).
• “But my friend/co-worker/uncle couldn’t make it!”
Sorry, we are giving out free comics to the people who are attending,not folks at home or away. We encourage you to share your free comics!
• Please don’t read at the shelves – we have a lot of people to serve today!
Grab what catches your eye and make room for those waiting behind you.
• The free comics will be bagged and checked by store staff before leaving to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
Strange Adventures Dartmouth at 101 Portland Street 10AM to 5Pm and will have a small selection of Free Comic Book Day comics AND you can choose up to FIVE of our dollar comics for FREE as well! AND there’s a half-price toy sale!
Don’t forget to visit the Alderney Library and Giant Robot Comics for more Free Comic Day festivities in Dartmouth and get your FCBD Passport stamped so you can enter the free draw for nifty prizes!
Strange Adventures Halifax splits into three locations for Free Comic Book Day!
The original store on Sackville Street will be holding its farewell tour! Half-off storewide!
Comics, books, games, toys and more all at 50% off! We’d rather sell it than move it!
Come on in and haggle with Cal to make some great deals!
5262 Sackville Street • 10AM to 5PM
The Free Comic Book Day HQ (open noon to 4PM) is in Saint David’s Church Hall at the corner of Blowers and Market Streets! DOORS OPEN AT NOON! – see map:
• DOORS OPEN AT NOON! (it takes a few hours to set it all up!)
• choose up to 25 different comics! Thousands to choose from!
There will be three different sections – ALL AGES • TEEN • MATURE
• Sorry, no duplicates. Only 1 of any comic per person. (Only 1 Walking Dead comic per person as an example)
• “But my friend/co-worker/cousin couldn’t make it!”
Sorry, we are giving out free comics to folks attending the event, not those at home. Feel free to share your with your pals!
• Please don’t read at the tables – we usually have a long line of people to get through.
Grab a couple that look interesting and let the other folks get a turn!
• The free comics will be checked and bagged at the exit onto Brunswick Street. This is also
where your FCBD passport can get stamped!
• There’s also a bean bag toss game for kids 12 and under! Toss a beanbag into one of the boxes and choose a prize from that box! t-shirts, toys, cards and more to be won!
• AND our skilled photographer will be making the rounds with a posse and a passel of cool prizes, scouting out for costumed comic book fans in and around the Free Comic Book Day HQ!
The NEW Strange Adventures location opens at 5110 Prince Street (corner of Prince and Lower Water Streets)
at 10AM to 5PM on Saturday with some sweet deals on select books
and will be marking May the 4th be with you with a special deal on Star Wars comics!
If you have any questions, contact us!
We hope to see you on Free Comic Book Day! Bring some friends, too!